Thursday 15 September 2011

Hair Care: Coriander Oil


(No, you didn't come to the wrong place. This post is about Coriander oil and not Starbucks coffee)

We all want flawless hair, right? I know I do! I've always had fine/thin hair and I made my peace with it a long time ago. I used to straighten it a lot and now I have fine/thin damaged hair. I had to stop straightening and I tried not to use a lot of products on my hair.

Flash forward a few years, and I'm still paranoid about using straighteners. I rarely straighten my hair! People who had forgotten what the natural texture of my hair looked like, have forgotten what I looked with straight hair. Yes, I had to make peace with the fact that my hair is not my best friend. 

I do get rebellious though. It happens every summer when one of my best friends Sara and I go swimming every single day for an entire month. We have a blast swimming for a month and then I have stop because *gulp* I start losing hair. Imagine my misery. This happens every year without a fail! Some one else in my position would just stop swimming altogether. No, not I! I ditch Sara for the rest of the summer and then start obsessing over my hair. 

What do I do? I start oiling my hair. (did I even say that correctly?)



Two years ago (brace your selves for another story) I changed my shampoo for a few days and got dandruff. I started using Coriander (dhania) oil for the dandruff. I can't recommend this enough for people who are suffering from it!! You will see the difference within days (for me it took two days).

I've always noticed that when I start using this oil I have less hair in my brush. It's also easier for me to brush my hair. My hair does look a lot more shiny and has noticeably more life in it. Obviously it's no miracle worker. It does help in hair regrowth and hair fall, but for that give it a few weeks before you see a difference. There will be difference in your hair though with time. What you won't like about this oil is the smell. It has a strong funky smell to it, but you'll get use to it.  

I store mine in whatever bottle I have laying around. This time I stored it in the Starbucks bottle. You'll find Coriander oil in your local markets where herbal products are available. Also, try looking for a store that sells herbs and oils, I'm sure you'll find it there. 

I hope this post is helpful. I know what a misery hair can be and this is something that saves my hair every time. 

Sana

11 comments:

  1. Great pics <3 Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. NICE POST:) Thanks fr sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hair and dark circles are the most trickiest of things to work on, and you seldom bear result. But hearing your story, I think I'll give this oil a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH first I thought you were gonna tell us how this coffee turned out as a hair product. Lol. Great review. Have to get my hands on it! thanks <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I'm gonna try that too. I have wavy, sometimes curly hair and I remember straightening the life out of them when I was younger. I know better now, haha.

    Hopefully it'll work for me as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who'd have thought. Coriander eh? I will share this with my friend who suffers from long time dandruff prob and can never wear black. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think i can get benefit from this. I soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo need it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey!!! first i was like wow sana is trying starbuck's coffee on her hair lol!! Thankyou soooo much Sana i'm sure this one will be v helpful! u knw same is the prob with my hair!!! i will surely try this one :):) thanx for ur efforts Sana and Aroosa<3 (Rabia.B)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone:)! I hope this helps and makes a difference to everyone's hair:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,
    You've got a lovely blog here, I always enjoy reading your posts, especially since I'm overseas and never know what's going on up there :)
    Quick question about the dhania oil: did you use 100% pure oil? Like, was it an essential oil? Because I've been trawling my local health food stores and all they give me is either a blank stare ("How d'you get oil out of coriander?") or present me with an extravagantly overpriced 10mL essential oil bottle. My understanding is that pure essential oil irritates the skin, so yeah, did you use pure oil, or was it diluted with something else?
    Thanks and sorry about the novel above hahaha :D
    Sana (Yeah, I have the same name as you, much like about half of female Pakistanis!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Thank you Sana, you've made my day <3. I loved your comment. haha!

      I use pure coriander oil, and it's really cheap here,despite the crazy inflation. (I asked my maid how the oil is extracted out of the coriander, and her reply was "the same way mustard oil (sarson ka thail) is extracted." :p)

      Instead of health food stores, why don't go try your local Pakistani/Indian stores instead? I wish i could be more helpful. Where do you live?

      I checked online and the images I got for coriander oil are yellow, and the one i buy is red. I asked around and no one knows why the color here is red. I do know that that the oil is supposed to be pure (it is Pakistan, so you never know. They do put a scent in this oil, maybe that makes it turn red-ish? I get mine from a small shop where pure oils are sold.:/ I hope this helps. Hahaha! I've written a short story myself:p.

      Delete