Wednesday 6 July 2011

Coke Studio Season 4: Favourite Song Of Episode Four



I can't believe season four of Coke Studio is almost over. This season has been pretty good though, don't you think? I don't think there has been a cult favourite like last year's Alif Allah. Last year, I remember it was on rotation 24/7 on every music channel and radio! It was played non-stop at my gym as well-yes, just imagine! The closest thing to a cult favourite this year is Bilal Khan's To Kiaa Hua, I it. One of my personal favourites was from episode two, Senraan Ra Baairya.


The only downside to this season is that Noori isn't there to wow us.


This episode had great performances but my favourite was Mandh, performed by The Sketches. Which one was your favourite?

Title: Mandh - منڌ - Wine
Language:Sindhi
Poetry: Shah Latif (d. 1752)
وو الا 
wo Ala 
oh God!
مَنڌُ پئندي مون 
mandho peeande moon 
drinking the wine of gnosis
ساڄَنُ سهي سُڃاتو 
saajano sahi suneaato 
I perceived the Beloved
پِي پِيالو عِشقَ جو 
pi piyaalo ishqa jo 
imbibing the doctrines of Love by drinking from Love's cup
سڀڪِي سمجھيو سُون 
sabhki samjhyo soon 
I fathomed entirety
ساڄَنُ سهي سُڃاتو 
saajano sahi suneaato 
the Beloved I perceived
تون حبيبُ 
toon habeebo 
You are the Friend
تون طبيبُ 
toon tabeebo 
You are the Physician
تون ئي دَردَ جي دَوا 
toon ei darda ji dawa 
only You are the remedy for pain
جانِبَ منهنجي جِيءَ ۾ آزَرَ جا اَنوا 
janiba muhinje jeea men aazara ja anwa 
Dearest! in my being are thousands of afflictions
صاحبَ ڏي شِفا ميان مريضنِ کي 
sahiba ḍhe shifa meeyaan mareezane khe 
O Lord, pray heal the sick and afflicted
اللہ "عَبۡدُاللَّطِيفُ" چئي 
allaaha abdul llateefo chae 
O God! "Abd ul-Latif" says
ڀٽ جو گھوٽُ لَّطِيفُ چئي 
bhiṭ jo ghoṭo llateefo chae 
Latif, the darling bridegroom of Bhit Shah, says
تُون ئي آهين تُون 
toon ei aaheen toon 
there is none but You
ساڄَنُ سهي سُڃاتو 
saajano sahi suneaato 
the Beloved I perceived
جي لَّطِيف 
ji lateef 
O good Latif
او لَّطِيف 
o lateef 
O Latif
ڇَلَّ سنڌڙي وسئي لَّطِيف 
challa sindhaṛi wasae llateef 
may the land of Sindh remain prosperous, Latif
ڀلو میان اللہ 
bhalo miyaan allaaha 
Good Master Alla
Sana

No comments:

Post a Comment